The devil can be in the details when it comes to making the right choices about what to wear to an interview. After selecting the right clothes, try to avoid some of these accessory pitfalls:
- For women, don’t wear open-toed shoes. Choose a conservative, closed-toe heel.
- Avoid strong fragrances. Don’t wear perfume or cologne and don’t eat pungent foods before interviewing.
- Choose simple jewelry, nothing too large, trendy or noisy. Wear no more than one ring on each hand, one set of earrings and no noisy bangle bracelets that could distract the interviewer.
- Remove visible body piercings and cover tattoos. You may view them as showing your creativity but the interviewer could be negatively influenced by them.
- Don’t have unkempt nails, chipped polish or wear dark or trendy colors.
- Avoid wearing anything low cut, sheer, too short or too tight.