After nearly 20 years of providing public relations professionals to DC area businesses, we know what it takes to build a successful career in communications. Here are our top ten tips to ensure that your career stays on track:
- Build and maintain relationships all the time, not just when you are looking for a promotion or new job.
- Manners count! Always send cover letters, thank-you letters and notes; treat everyone with respect.
- Learn more about your industry and organization. Anticipate where your industry is going before your boss/members/clients.
- Update your style of resume, not just its contents, and keep a portfolio to show your accomplishments.
- Looks count! Dress for interviews in polished, conservative style, and don’t dress down at work–no “casual Friday”.
- Do PR for yourself, so your client/employer knows your value.
- Lifelong learning is absolutely required. Keep up with technology and societal changes.
- Be friendly, interesting and likeable! People want to work with someone they like being around.
- Be active! Help co-workers, volunteer for projects. Be involved with a professional society, club or charity.
- Be honest. Honesty isn’t the best policy; it’s the ONLY policy!